Monday, September 12, 2005

Working with the Peruvian National Police


Every PC volunteer in Peru works with a counter-part agency. Some work in artisan associations, some work with schools, some work with NGOs, and some work with misitries of health. I got matched up with the National Police. Every Saturday about 30 children come to the station to get fed, play and learn to improve their lives. The program is called Colobri which means hummingbird in spanish. Many cities are using the program to help street kids find better alternatives to drug use, prostitution, and crime. Colobri in Piura is doing wonders. The police have told me that crime rate is going down and the kids who joined the program when they were younger are now finding jobs and living a much better life compared to the kids who stayed on the street. Since I am new to the program I will be explaining more and more about my work in future entries.

1 Comments:

Blogger zack@ said...

Thanks! I’m pleasantly surprised, even though the weekly figures have been great too.
volunteer peru

4:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home