Monday, August 07, 2006

Amazon Jungle Diary Vol. 3

One of the neatest aspects of our trip was that is was entirely un-planned. We had ideas what we wanted to do but we didn´t do our homework and in the end it turned out better that way. Anyways I´ve learned its better not have a detailed plan in Perú but rather expect the unexpected. When we arrived at the river port town we took a motorcycle taxi to where the cargo boats line up. We realized right when we saw the boat we were going to take that it wasn´t a tourist boat but the exact opposite...a mix between a zoo and a supermarket. There were more animals on the boat than humans! We made a deal with the captain to not rent out the 4th bed (since there were 3 of us) in exchange that we later give him the pillows and sheets that we bought for the trip. The room was so small that I prefered to sleep in my hammock outside with the other people. We were packed in like sardines. I felt like my personal space was very violated but in Perú people are used being smashed in tight. The idea of personal space doesn´t really exist. I ride a taxi each morning the size of a battery powered kid car with 5-6 other people packed in tight. I got used to that but definately not people bumping on all sides of my hammock. It was part of the adventure and something I will never forget. Picture: Our native guide, Romen, listening for wildlife

We probably wouldn´t have seen much wildlife or learned about all the cool kinds of medicinal plants if it weren´t for our guide. He took us off the path (which you could barely tell was a path because he prefered to leave nature un touched by man) when we heard certain animal sounds. We saw monkeys, parrots, toucans, macaws, 2 pit vipers, butterflys of every color, piranas, dog fish, jungle rats (size of rabbits), frogs, iquanas, grey and blue river dolfins. We didn´t see any sloths, caimán, jaguars, tapirs, cabybaras (huge rodents the size of hogs), or anacondas. You need to stay longer in the jungle to see everything.

Picture: Me and my jungle outfit

Recommendation. Don´t wear wear tank tops! The rubber boots are essential though. I wore this shirt for 5 days without taking it off! It became a pride issue after the 2nd or 3rd day. I wanted to see how nasty I could get. Plus I think my smell became a natural insect repellent. I remember what a treat it was to finally take a hot shower when we got back to Iquitos.

Picture: Jergon Pit Viper

My friend Nik almost stepped on this highly venomous snake. Our guide says you have up to 6 hours to live if bitten depending on your current health.

Picture: Sign of a lodge that tries to protect the pink river dolfins of the Amazon

We didn´t get to see any pink dolfins though we did see many grey dolfins.

Picture: Nik letting termites crawl all over his arm.

Our guide told us that in these huge cacoons there are millions of termites. We broke a piece off and let the termites crawl all over our arms. We then smashed them and smeared thier guts and juices on our arms and legs. Why? It acts as a natural mosquito repellent. They smell like wood.


Picture: Me with my cows

We played poker next to these guys for three days. I felt sorry for them. They were packed in tight and looked miserable. I did eat a hamburger when I got to Iquitos though. I wonder if one of the cows I befriended I ended up eating?

Picture: Typical village cottage with Peruvian flag

Since we travelled on Fiestas Patrias (Peruvian Independence Weekend) all of Peru waves their flags with pride. It was interesting to see a Peruvian flag so far out in the jungle. It felt like I was in a different country being in the jungle. The people look different, talk different, and the food is different. I have been used to seeing all brown living in the coastal desert. It was refreshing to see all of the different colors and hear different sounds. The jungle is a very intense and competative environment. We learned that back in the 60s and early 70s Peace Corps put volunteers in the Amazon jungle. I´m not sure if I could survive. Too many mosquitos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home