Friday, October 13, 2006

Yes, I love my pets

Pet update: Duke my dog continues to get every single one of my pants and shirts dirty before I go to work. I guess I shouldn´t greet him in the mornings but it has become habit to go see him as I leave. Pocho the Parrot, and I have really gotten a lot closer as you can tell. He doesn´t bite me anymore and lets me rub his forehead. Pocho continues however to be a bad pet investment. He doesn´t sing and wakes me up everymorning with his horrible ¨squaks¨. Pancho the Tortoise has really been bugging me lately, but whats new. My family and I have engineered a compost pile in the corner of the backyard, Pancho´s territory. He refuses not to leave it alone. As I mentioned earlier, Tortoises don´t move for anybody. They are God´s most stubborn animal and not recommended for a pet. Pancho has a small yard in the first place and when he got wind that I was going to take up a few feet of his space to build a compost, he got pissed off. For the few days I was building the fence, concentrating on trying to reinforce the durability of the fence to make it ¨turtle resistent¨, Pancho would not stop bugging me. He literally would climb down the hole and try to bite my toes as I was digging. There were a few times when I got so frustrated that I tossed him several feet out of the hole and onto the dirt pile. He would immediately return back to the hole and try to bite me. ¨Absolutely incredible¨I thought. He is a fearless, utterly stubborn animal that annoys the heck out of me. Our newest pet is another parrot, yet smaller one, named Harris. He is not domesticated yet and has chewed his way out of two wire bird cages we bought. I guess some birds weren´t meant to be caged. Luckily his wings are clipped and hasn´t escaped the bricked-in-wall yard yet. He is now living in a bush in the back yard. I think its best for him. So thats the pet scoop. In the Peace Corps there are several days you find yourself with nothing to do. For me, I like to sit in my hammock and read and hang out with the animals. I don´t get to see the chickens and donkeys and stray dogs on a regular basis like the volunteers that live in the campo. I miss out on a lot of the nature campo sounds and smells. However, my next-door neighbor has a turkey that always gobbles. If you are standing in my backyard and make any kind of noise that resembles a turkey call, he repeats you. I sit in my hammock sometimes and make turkey calls to pass the time away. It´s very entertaining to me but has to be quite a view looking through the back window of the house and listen to Noah sit in his hammock while turkey sounds. That has to look wierd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home