Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Update on the Mosquito War

I recently have gotten some feedback from my readers regarding the mosquito wars.

I´m back on top again.

First of all I don´t want my readers to think that there are too many mosquitos and that visiting Piura would be an absolute nightmare. Believe me the hotels have air conditioning and sealed windows and you would be protected from the mosquitos.

To give a quick update- Mosquitoes are bad here, there is no Malaria here thank the Lord, but the mosquitos are mean, tactile, persistent, and extremely intelligent creatures.

In the beginning, I was losing the war, the mosquito nets didn´t work-The mosquitos found microscopic folds in the net and flew in full force- ¨Now the mosquitoes are trapped inside my safety shield.¨ That time was miserable.

Then I started using bug repellent sprays and plug in fumigators but I would wake up with coughs. Though spraying myself down with bug spray each night couldn´t be healty- It was fairly effective though. I quit using sprays and fumigators.

So now I have my industrial strength, 3- speed, shiny black and crome fan that allows me to get a good rest.

So how am I winning? If I put the fan on speed 3 (lowest) I lose the battle that night. They withstand the air current and can somehow fly through the eye of the hurricane, land on my hand or face and have a mid-night snack.

If I put it on speed 2, sometimes I win and most of the time they still win the battle. These guys are strong! Here is the funny part, I believe that while I´m sleeping, they actually fly around the air current and do tacticle covert operations. When they find a weak spot in the air current they attack.

The good thing is that my fan is powerful. If I use speed 1 (the strongest) is too strong for the mosquitos to penetrate the air current and find a safe place to land on my face, back or arms. The bad thing is that speed 1 is so strong that It is like having a jet engine blowing on your face. It is very powerful and loud. But worth it.

But beware! My fan is located on the side of my bed (due to the short cord), if I lie on my side, it creates a weak air current on the opposite side of the fan where the mosquitos love to attack. I would like to have another fan on the opposite of the side of the fan so I could lie on my side at times when I sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home