Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Educational Excursion with street kids

On July 14th the police and I brought 130 street kids to an ecological park-mini zoo outside of Piura for a day of instruction and fun. There, the kids learned all about protecting the environment, the fauna and flor and also were instructed on basic first aid from a company of firefighters. The success of this event marks the end of one my big projects of the year working in the Peace Corps. Everything went great and according to the plan we created-- a real suprise here in Peru. The only thing that suprised me and made me a little upset was that somebody (who I later found out was one of the police officers) was feeding bananas to the monkeys through their cage. Not a biggie, but when you have 130 kids all with sack lunches that contain bananas your setting yourself up for a disaster. Luckily I told the kids not to feed the zoo animals before they all started feeding the monkeys. Can you imagine 130 kids all sticking bananas through the monkey cage at a zoo! picture: kids lining up in their formation.
picture: kids with the firefighters




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home